Burnley knock Newcastle out after Wayne Hennessey’s shootout heroics

Burnley knock Newcastle out after Wayne Hennessey’s shootout heroics

Wayne Hennessey enjoyed a debut to remember as Steve Bruce failed to fulfil a pre-match pledge to treat Newcastle United fans to a cup run.

Not content with ensuring the tie went to penalties, Burnley’s new goalkeeper then denied Allan Saint-Maximin and Miguel Almirón as Sean Dyche’s side won the shootout 4-3. As Charlie Taylor’s decisive final kick booked a third-round tie with Rochdale at Turf Moor, an all too familiar feeling of disappointment descended upon the 30,000 crowd who had perhaps thought Bruce’s programme notes were tempting fate.

“I truly believe there’s nothing better than a cup run,” wrote Newcastle’s manager before his teamsheet revealed some pretty heavy squad rotation.

Like Bruce, Dyche had seen his team lose their opening two league games and he, too, made wholesale alterations. He did include Dwight McNeil though and a winger much admired by Aston Villa displayed some pleasing early touches during a slog of an opening period.

Tellingly, Newcastle’s right wing-back Javier Manquillo commanded one of the biggest cheers of the night for steaming into a full-blooded, high-velocity challenge on Erik Pieters. Similarly, the sight of Saint-Maximin and Joe Willock emerging from the substitutes’ bench to take a turn stretching their legs on the touchline earned far more applause than anything that occurred in the two penalty areas.

Despite Bruce’s side playing marginally the better football, Hennessey, recently arrived on a free transfer from Crystal Palace, initially had very little to do bar watching Jeff Hendrick shoot narrowly wide from distance.

Aaron Lennon was making his second debut for Dyche’s side after returning on a free transfer from Kayserispor but was forced to spend most of the evening tracking back against the lively Ryan Fraser. He combined well with Jamal Lewis down Newcastle’s left and when the latter supplied Joelinton with a deep cross, the Brazilian forward’s attempted shot landed at Hendrick’s feet. Finally Hennessey was called to arms and, reacting with alacrity, he proved more than equal to the challenge, smartly blocking the former Burnley midfielder’s shot with his legs.

Suitably spurred, Newcastle finally menaced and, having connected with Ciaran Clark’s lofted ball and expertly held off Ben Mee, Dwight Gayle’s shot clipped the underside of the crossbar.

Despite Gayle and Manquillo forcing Hennessey into a couple of tremendous saves following openings created by Joelinton that pair were replaced by Saint-Maximin and Willock. But even they could not quite break Burnley’s resistance.

“We played very well tonight and my goalkeeper [Freddie Woodman] hasn’t had to make a save,” said Bruce. “Sadly we didn’t take our chances but we just have to keep believing that things will turn round.”